[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Notes for porters

> Definitely.  I like /* JAVA/2: ... */ personally.  This might be to early
> to talk about some of this, but we need to start thinking about this
> stuff.

Personally, I'd like to keep all possible OJ references as far away from
anything we do as possible..  PLEASE :)  JAVA/2 is ok by me..

> Like, we should try to bracket changed code with #ifdef OS2 and #else
> statements where possible, so that the code will remain commonly
> compilable with other platforms.  Where changes are too great and would
> cause a mess, I would suggest dup'ing the file and doing something like:

Given my prelminary looks at the source code structure I'm not sure how this
applies..  For those who haven't already looked at the way Sun's organized
things, there is a clear portability boundary at the POSIX level between the
"shared" modules (contained in a separate directory tree) and the
platform-specific modules (kept under the "solaris" tree for Solaris, etc).
It seems to me that everything we should be doing should be under an "os2"
tree, and shouldn't have any code which actually gets shared with other
platform compiles..  As such, bracketing in #ifdefs is kinda silly since the
whole directory structure effectively does that already..

I do think we should make a concerted effort to document everything we do in
the platform-specific areas thoroughly and well, and it looks like there may
be a few areas where we can just copy some of the Solaris-specific files and
modify them for use under OS/2, in which case the fact that we've done this
should be clearly noted as well..  It might be much more useful for people in
general though if we kept separate documentation as well (i.e. not in comments
in the code, but in a text file on the side) of problems and solutions we run
into while doing this port (as that type of information might be much more
directly applicable to ports to other platforms)..

BTW, Guys, a bit of a pet-peeve for me, but.. It's generally courteous to,
if you're going to quote messages you're responding to, try to quote only
the bits you're responding to (getting all these trails of sig after
maillist-footer after sig after maillist-footer at the end of each message
just eats up my (semi-precious) quota even faster, and isn't particularly
interesting to read)..

-alex
     Alex Stewart - riche@crl.com - Richelieu @ Diversity University MOO
                         http://www.crl.com/~riche/
            "Difficult answers lead to intelligent questions."